The Institutional Web Management Workshop (IWMW) has been the premier event for the UK’s higher educational web management community since it was launched in 1997.
The annual 3-day event has provided opportunities for those with responsibilities for managing institutional web services and related digital channels to learn from case studies, hear about innovative approaches and share and discuss challenges in managing institutional web services.
The event has attracted core members of institutional Web teams such as developers, designers, content creators and managers.
HISTORY OF IWMW
The Institutional Web Management Workshop (IWMW) series was launched in 1997 to provide an opportunity for those with responsibilities in managing institutional web services to develop their professional skills, keep informed of new developments and develop and cultivate their professional networks.
The IWMW has been held annually since 1997. Over the past 24 years it has taken place at higher educational institutions throughout the country.
The future of the event was reviewed at IWMW 2013 and it was clear that there was a demand for the event to continue, in order that web managers are able to continue to support and develop web services which are essential for delivering institutional services and can respond to new opportunities provided by the web.
From 1997 until 2013 the IWMW event was provided by UKOLN and supported by Jisc. Following the cessation of Jisc’s core funding for UKOLN, the IWMW 2014 event was provided by Cetis and Jisc Netskills in conjunction with Brian Kelly, who founded the event. The IWMW 2016 event was organised by Brian Kelly (UK Web Focus) and Liverpool John Moores University, supported by an advisory group.
IWMW 2017 was held at the University of Kent. The event was organised by Brian Kelly (UK Web Focus), Claire Gibbons and the University of Kent, supported by an advisory group.
IWMW 2018 was held at the University of York on 11-13 July 2018. The co-chairs were Brian Kelly and Claire Gibbons who are support by the IWMW 2018 Advisory Group.
IWMW 2019 was held at the University of Greenwich on 25-27 June 2019. The co-chairs were Brian Kelly and Claire Gibbons who are support by the IWMW 2019 Advisory Group.
- The IWMW event has been held across the UK since its launch in 1997.
- The event regularly attracts up to 200 participants with responsibilities for supporting the provision and management of institutional web services.
- The event provides an opportunity for practitioners to share their experiences and approaches with their peers.
- Vendors and consultants have also spoken at IWMW events, but are discouraged for simple marketing presentations.
- IWMW social events provide participants with opportunities for informal networking
The IWMW 2020 Event
- IWMW 2020 was due to be held at the University of Dundee on 30 June – 2 July 2020.
- IWMW 2020 would have been the 24th in the series.
- IWMW 2020 was announced on the IWMW blog on 2 October 2019.
- The IWMW 2020 Advisory Group advised on the event content and format.
- Saldly, due to Coronavirus, the event was cancelled.